Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Fixed vs. Growth Mindset

I just finished reading Mindset by Carol Dweck.


My principal bought this book last year for a group of teachers wanting to do a book study/PLC group.  That group unfortunately (or fortunately, if you think about how much time it would have taken) never took off.  But I took the time to read it now that I've got nothing but time.

It started out as a really slow read because it wasn't giving me much new information.  I had already taken a class two semesters ago on fixed versus growth mindset, and it was based a lot on Carol Dweck's research.  However, after the second chapter, all I wanted to do was finish the book.  Luckily, I had two 9-hour plane rides to get it all in. ;)

I definitely lucked out... The left is my flight to the Lower 48, and the right is my flight back home.
No neighbors for either trip!  Score!!
Red-eye flights for the win!

So anyway.  This book.

Guys.  There are so many great stories regarding people you will recognize!  Both fixed mindset and growth mindset.  People like Michael Jordan and Alex Rodriguez.  Or John McEnroe.  Also some stories regarding classrooms and students.  And about relationships.  It's just so much information on such a broad range of topics related to mindset and how having a fixed or growth mindset affects any given situation.

As I was reading, I was thinking about so many things.  My classroom, of course.  But then my Team Beachbody business.  And my personal relationships.  This was definitely something I needed to read at this time.  I've been on this personal development journey for a while now, and I am glad this was one of the books I brought home from my classroom.

At the end of the last chapter, Dr. Dweck gives you this diagram by Nigel Holmes.


She says to print it out and tape it to your bathroom mirror along with a few questions.  These questions are designed to get you into the growth mindset starting from the moment you go into the bathroom to brush your teeth in the morning.  It's a great idea!  Definitely something to spend some time developing.  Who wouldn't want to "reach ever-higher levels of achievement" and have higher self-esteem and a sense of free will?  

I have a couple more books regarding mindset in the classroom that I ordered last school year.  I plan to put them to use at the start of the school year.  Once I develop a plan, it may become a blog post later. Ha!  The books I ordered were Ready-to-Use Resources for Mindset in the Classroom and A Mindset for Learning.


I'm also going to start a list of picture books and other resources to help launch a growth mindset culture in my classroom from the beginning!  (If you're interested in seeing what's on my list, click [here].)

What do you think?  Do you have any resources that you've used regarding teaching a growth mindset?


No comments:

Post a Comment