Saturday, July 23, 2016

More Personal Development..?

This one was a little more difficult to admit to reading.  I mean, I read 5 Love Languages Singles Edition not long ago, and I was ashamed at first to admit to purchasing it.  Then later, I was so glad I did and wanted to share it with the world!

You can read about it {HERE}.

The book I just read is by the same author, Gary Chapman, and he does reference those love languages in part in this book.  This one is When Sorry Isn't Enough.  


It's honestly just as eye-opening as the 5 Love Languages book, and I am glad I read it (although still a little ashamed to admit that I needed to). I had no idea that people were so different in how they give and accept apologies.  I've only ever done it my way.  When I sincerely apologize, I admit to being wrong, and I try to fix what I did.  (People that know me know that if I simply say "I'm sorry," it's just an effort to make the problem go away because I probably have no idea what I did wrong or I don't know how to fix it. Haha!)  

This book talks about five different ways people hear apologies.  Gary Chapman also says if people don't hear the apology in their "language," they won't think you're being sincere.  So what if my attempt at a sincere apology (I know what I did was wrong.  This is how I want to make it up to you.) is falling on deaf ears because that's not how you want me to apologize? Holy cow!  Talk about enlightenment!

I've been trying to learn as much as I can about effective communication because that is something that I'm not particularly good at.  I can communicate facts, I can teach you how to read, I can talk about how my day was, I can even chat about workout programs and nutrition guides... but I truly struggle to communicate in the areas that matter.  I don't know if you're like me, but this book definitely taught me a thing or two about communication.  Not just how to apologize to anyone, but about how to address a variety of situations with any number of people (be them coworkers, family members, friends, spouses, boyfriends/girlfriends, etc.).

I don't really have much to say on this topic because I haven't been granted the opportunity to really practice with this yet.  However, even if you think you are great at this kind of thing, the information here is definitely well worth the $9 I paid for this book!


Here's the little blurb on the back:

"Even in the best of relationships, all of us make mistakes.  We do and say things we later regret and hurt the people we love most.  So we need to make things right.  But simply saying you're sorry is usually not enough.

"In this book, #1 New York Times bestselling author Gary Chapman and Jennifer Thomas unveil new ways to effectively approach and mend fractured relationships.  Even better, you'll discover how meaningful apologies provide the power to make your friendships, family, and marriage stronger than ever before.

"When Sorry Isn't Enough will help you...
  • Cool down heated arguments
  • Offer apologies that are fully accepted
  • Rekindle love that has been dimmed by pain
  • Restore and strengthen valuable friendships
  • Trade in tired excuses for honesty, trust, and joy"

I have no affiliation with this author or his products.  I am not paid to endorse these books.  I make no profit from this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment